Monday, October 12, 2009

Raw - Vegan
Apple Pie Recipe:
Derived from Ani Phyo’s recipe




Crust:
2 cups finely chopped almonds
2 cups pitted dates
1 teaspoon sea salt

Syrup:
½ cup pitted dates
1 peeled orange
¼ cup water

Filling:
6 apples peeled and very thinly sliced (I used 3 granny smith and 3 red apples)
1 cup mixed dried cranberries and walnuts
2 tablespoons cinnamon

Instructions:
Again, I started this pie a day in advance. I started with the crust, blending the dates, almonds and sea salt together with my hands (or you could use a food processor). Before I put the mixture into the pie plate I spread out some very finely chopped almonds so that the dates wouldn’t get stuck to the bottom of the plate. Then I flattened the mixture into the shape of the plate before I placed it into the plate so that I wouldn’t mess up the almonds. Then I pinched all around the edge of the pie crust just to make it look nice!

The syrup is very easy, I put the peeled orange into the vita-mix with the dates on top and then the water. I found that I didn’t used all of the syrup on my pie though, there was a lot left over. Don’t add this mixture till last!

The filling, I put the apples into a dish filled with water and lemon juice and let it sit for a few hours to soften them a little. Drain the apples, then mix some of the syrup mixture with the apples cranberries and cinnamon.

Finally, pile the apple mixture into the pie crust, and arrange them nicely.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment