Monday, October 12, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Raw - Vegan
Pumpkin Pie



Crust:
2 cups shredded coconut
½ cup mixed nuts... (I used raw pumpkin seeds and walnuts mixed to make a half a cup)
¼ cup agave
A handful or two of sunflower seeds (added after the mixture is blended together)

Filling:
2 cups pie pumpkin peeled and chopped
1 avocado
1/3 cup coconut milk
½ cup pitted dates
2 tablespoons pumpkin spice
1 table spoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons agave
½ cups almonds

Topping (optional):
A handful of almonds chopped
A handful of coconut
A pinch of cinnamon

Instructions:
I personally started a day before I wanted this pie to be made. I started with the crust, putting the coconut, mixed nuts, and agave into the blender. Blend until smooth, then put into a 9 inch pie pan and spread out evenly into the shape of a crust. At first it will be a little soft, but that’s why I make it a day ahead of time so that I can put it in the fridge overnight to harden it up.

So the next day, start off by peeling the pumpkin. When I first heard this it confused me, but you literally peel a pie pumpkin like you would an apple. Pie pumpkins you can find at a local farm..usually around thanksgiving (they’re supposed to be a little bit more sweet). So, in this order, put the ingredients into the vita-mix (I would have put the pumpkin in a food processor first but I don’t have one): coconut milk, pumpkin, avocado, almonds, dates, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, honey, and agave. The blender will get stuck a few times so as you go you might want to throw in a little less than 1/3 more of coconut milk and use the tamper to mix it together. After its all blended, put the mixture right into the pie crust. Then you can decorate it, like I did mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment